While you are preparing to launch into your game of Catan, it is wise to know a few tricks and strategies that will give you an advantage when playing. Since we are still working on adding content to this site, here are some of the best external resources we know of:
- CatanMaps' strategy guide is excellent and surprisingly thorough. You can read it here.
- The SpruceCrafts' article on using resources wisely is much shorter than the previous resource, but it is linked to several other helpful articles, including one on how to place your starting settlements.
- If you are wanting to get really serious, look no further than SettlersStrategy. This website is devoted to "strategy articles for the competitive Catan Player," but the "Tips for Beginners" tab here is a great place to start.
- Looking for a slicker website that hasn't been updated in a year? Look no further than CatanNerd. A cool place to check out, but not a cool place to stay.
- Look here for a good discussion of using Reverse Psychology in playing Catan.
Note, however, that the CatanMaps strategy guide does not take into account the new CatanFusion system of gameplay. For the most part, there is no need to formally discuss CatanFusion's strategy: it is already covered in the videos, podcasts, blog articles, and instructional content on this site! If you know of a great Catan strategy resource, please let us know, using the contact form below: